Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Three Little Pigs

(29 Months Old)

I love how the kidabunks have always loved "reading" their books.  Staring at the pictures, turning pages, sometimes talking about what they see.  Wild One has been asking us, his sister and his toy animals if they want to hear a story.  Then he holds up a book and starts "reading".  It's so cute how he is mimicking us holding a book so that they can see the pictures.  It also makes me more keenly aware at how carefully they are watching us and absorbing what we're doing.  They really are sponges.

Lately the kids have been retelling The Three Little Pigs.  Classic books like these are classics for a reason.  The story has repetition, which children love.  Well defined characters and an easy to recall story line.  We're planning on making sequencing cards (beginning, middle and end) for this book also, so that they kidabunks can place the cards in order of the story (I'll share once I have them completed).

They liked the story so much that I made stick figures of the three piggies and the big bad wolf.  Now when they "read" the story, they will grab the stick figures and say those famous lines that we all know by heart, "little pig, little pig let me in"...
 

I've caught them retelling and reenacting this story so many times.  My favorite is when one afternoon, we were playing in their playhouse and Little Miss asked me to be the Big Bad Wolf.  So, I said the famous lines "...and I huffed and I puffed and I blew the house down."  Little Miss put a scowl on her face and said, "it's not nice to blow down our house." 

No comments:

Post a Comment