Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Shiny Star Sticker Sorting

(28 Months)

With the Fourth of July quickly approaching, I thought it would be fun to break out my metallic star stickers.  We originally used this circle template to practice drawing circles.  Since I had three copies left over, I used two of them with the idea of having the little ones place the stickers on the "tracks" of the circle.

Little Miss really liked this.  I knew she would, it involved something teeny tiny and stickers.  I peeled the back off the sheet of stickers before handing the sheet to the kidabunks (when I interned in first grade, the teachers did this to help prevent frustration in peeling off a specific sticker).  Little Miss went straight to work lining the tracks with stars. Wild One came over and gave it a try for a few minutes, but then wanted to play Red Rover again.

While I was watching him play Red Rover, I noticed Little Miss peeling the stickers off of the tracks and putting them in the middle of the circles.  Hmmm.  I decided to narrate what she was doing as she was working.  She just repeated me, in a trance-like state, and then it hit me, she's sorting the stickers by color.  Why didn't I think of that?  I could have drew a red line on the first circle and asked her to place all the red stars on the red circle tracks, and repeated it with the blue, gold and green stickers.

In fact, that's just what I'll do and then in the middle I'll write the name of the color.  Thanks Little Miss for an excellent lesson idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment