Friday, March 8, 2013

Dr. Seuss Week- Ten Apples on Top

(37 Months)

For the past month or so, we've been playing in the bath tub with our Bath Math (read all about it here).  I knew when I saw this activity from Mrs. Karen's Preschool that we absolutely had to include this in our Dr. Seuss week.  Plus with the kids newfound interest in glue sticks, this was sure to be an activity that they would enjoy.

I invited the kids over for an activity.  We began by rereading Ten Apples on Top.  Next, I provided them with the blue backing paper, a glue stick and a picture of themselves.  Of course, they loved seeing the picture of themselves.  We discussed why we needed to paste their heads on the bottom of the page, rather than the top.  They applied the glue and I reminded them again to paste the picture at the bottom of the page.

Then we turned over our apples.  I asked which number we begin with.  They both shouted- ONE!  Find the one.  When they both found their 1, we flipped it over and applied glue.  They looked back at the cover, and I asked where it should go.  They pasted it right on top of their heads.  I prompted what number came next, and then what do we do?  But, I soon (at number three) found out that they didn't 
need any prompting. 
 

They kept recounting to make sure that they were choosing the right number and knew to apply the glue to the underside of the apple.  It took so much longer to prepare for this activity than it did for them to complete it (not counting our shared reading with the book).

They were finished in under five minutes.  We hung the pictures in our kitchen, and Wild One already came up to it and started counting again.  Success!  Thank you Mrs. Karen for a quick and easy project to prepare, and one that my kiddos enjoyed tremendously.


No comments:

Post a Comment