Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Making Larabars (with preschoolers) is Easy as 1-2-3

(31 Months)

We're eating so many homemade Larabars, that I'm thinking about buying stock in dates.  It's amazing I've never eaten a date before and now I'm finding they are one of the staring ingredients in most of my kids' cookies, muffins and snack bars.

This morning we made a batch of Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Larabars from Foodie with Family.  We've been wanting to make these for awhile now.  Peanut butter and chocolate chip?  C'mon, who's not going to want these?  These are good- but for some reason, I was expecting a Reece's Peanut Butter  Cup.  Yes, I know I have high, and sometimes unrealistic expectations.  If you're going to try just one, our favorite chocolate Larabar is still from Roxana's Home Baking.  She made a chocolate chip brownie bar that is so fudgy and delicious that I found myself sneaking them after the kids went to sleep.

The kidabunks love watching and helping me bake/cook in the kitchen.  More often than not, if I'm in the kitchen they are on their step stool watching or helping me.


I love doing quick and easy baking projects with the kids and this is definitely one of the easiest there is.  The ingredient list is short (dates, dark chocolate chips, almonds and peanut butter), if something spills it doesn't make a mess, measuring is simple and everything is combined in a Cuisinart.  The entire process takes just minutes to assemble, and then it needs to "rest" for about an hour to harden.  It really couldn't be more toddler friendly.



What you don't see:
While we were measuring and pouring ingredients, Little Miss "needed" to try a chocolate chip. 
Wild One loved pressing the button on the food processor a little too much.  I'm so glad it has a      safety switch that prevents the machine from working unless the lid is locked in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment